Are you a user of Windows 10? Then you must have the facility of the Media Creation Tool. It provides you the facility of downloading windows 10 install files on a flash drive. Thus you can reuse it to Error Code 0x80042405 – 0xa001b install windows 10 again.
This option of information backup is extremely vital for you when some disputes happen on your computer. Also, it is better to save a hard copy of the operating system.
But there is a big problem too. Being a user of the windows 10 operating system, many users have faced the media creation tool error code 0x80042405 – 0xa001a on their personal computers. error code 0x80042405 – 0xa001b error is caused only when the user is using a bootable media or USB drive.
You can also face error code 0x80042405 – 0xa001a on windows 10. This issue also happens when you use USB devices primarily to install Windows 10 on your computer. Microsoft has several updated versions later on. But this problem can’t be removed completely.
Obviously, you want to get rid of this annoying situation as soon as possible. The changing of the settings on your Windows file is the principal cause of the 0x80042405 – 0xa001a error on the system.
In this article, I will discuss some easy and simple ways by which you can solve the problem on your own. So, go through the complete article very carefully.
Resolve: Error Code 0x80042405 – 0xa001b – There Was A Problem Running This Tool On Windows 10
When the error 0x80042405 – 0xa001b happens, you will see a message on the computer screen which shows: there was a problem running this tool. Well, now when you want to resolve this issue, you can change your MBR to GPT and also can reset the Media Creation Tool. It will help you to address the bug.
Before discussing the solution, I want to share with you something. You may face various error codes such as, 0x8007005- 0x9002, 800704DD- 0x90016, etc. the codes might be different due to various reason. But don’t you panic so much. The solutions are the same in most cases.
Generally, the ‘there was a problem running this tool’ error comes with an error code. This happens when the owner of the personal computer tries to create the Media Creation Tool on Windows 10 for both the updates of Anniversary and Creators. This error can also happen when the owner tries to run the Media Creation Tool to restore or upgrade the system.
There are several reasons for this error. For example, I can say that there may be disabled processes, improper setting of language, the conflict of Operating System and the anti-virus, or there can be the wrong registry entries.
Now whatever may be the reason, you can try the solutions which I am going to share with you in the below sections.
Solution 1: You Can Run The Media Creation Tool As Administrator.
When you face the error code 0x80042405 – 0xa001b while running the Media Creation Tool, the very first way you can try is to run this tool as an administrator. You just have to follow the methods:
- You should right click on the icon when you add- on the bootable USB device to the Media Creation Tool.
- You will find a context menu. You have to choose Run as Administrator from there.
Solution 2: You Can Enable The Required Services
This annoying situation can occur if the required services are disabled on your computer. So you have to be careful before you create or run the Media Creation Tool. You need to check on the status of the below-mentioned processes:
- You have to press Windows Key + R together. When the dialog box comes, write services.msc and press enter button.
- You will see then the list of services. From the list, find out the services that are listed below. Carefully find their status too. You should set the Startup Type of all of them to Automatic.
- The Server
- Background Intelligent Transfer Service
- Windows Update
- TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
- IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules
- If you see any of them are set to Manual mode, just right click on them one by one and choose Start.
- Set them to Automatic and shut the service window.
Solution 3: You Can Check The Settings Of Language
Windows 10 media creation tool there was a problem running this tool can occur in case when the location of the system and the language of the windows 10 set up file is unmatched. You can fix this issue very easily. Just set the language of the laptop to English. For that:
- You have to open the Control panel and choose Clock, Language and Region.
- You will see the option Change date, time, or number format. You have to click on it.
- Go to the Administrative tab and Move to Copy Settings.
- Tick the option: Welcome screen and system accounts and New User accounts boxes.
- Once done, press apply and then ok in order to save the changes you have made.
- Now, restart the system.
Solution 4: You Can Run The Registry Editor
If you find out that none of the above-mentioned solutions helped you, you then have to upgrade the registries. Now while applying this method, you have to be very careful as the improper removal of the inappropriate modification of the wrong key can cause very serious damage to the operating system.
To get rid of the damage, I strongly suggest you create a back- up for your windows. Now, look at the process.
- You should press Windows key + R together and then write regedit and press enter.
- You will see file at the top of the window. Click on it and from there choose Export.
- Pick up the location on the left panel.
- Create the back name in the File name box and then press export.
- Once the back- up is ready, go to the DDH_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SFTWARE\\Microsoft\\windows\\currentVersion\\WindowsUpdate\\OSUpgrade button.
- Now you should right click on the empty space and choose New> DWORD
- Give the name: AllowOSUpgrade and set the value to 1.
- Now just close the Registry editor and reboot the computer.
Solution 5: You Can Try By Disabling The Antivirus
If your software goes into conflict with the antivirus of the system, there was a problem running this tool may happen. Disabling the antivirus then can be a useful solution for you. Therefore, I suggest you disable your antivirus for a short period of time.
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete. Thus, the Task manager will be opened. Check the antivirus and select it. Then choose End Task.
- Find out the icon of the antivirus on the taskbar and just right click on it.
- Choose Disable.
Solution 6: You Can Convert MBR To GPT
0x80042405 – 0xa001b or 0x80042405 – 0xa001a error can arise if you have updated your Windows recently. The sudden change of the unusual setup can be the main culprit of the error. So, if you convert MBR to GPT format, it will be an ideal way to resolve such an error.
For converting MBR to GPT, you can try the steps below.
- Open the Search bar and write the command cmd. Now you should right click on the Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator.
- If you see that the UAC prompts, choose yes,
- You should now write Diskpart and click the Enter button.
- Now, you need to execute the list disk command. It can memorize the USB drive number. Here, you can have Disk 0.
- After that, you need to run these commands one by one.
Select disk 0 <Enter>
Convert mbr <Enter>
Create partition primary <Enter>
Format fs= fat32 quick <enter>
Activate < enter>
- Once you run these codes successfully, you can use the bootable drive without facing error.
Solution 7: You Can Reset The Media Creation Tool
Just in case, if you failed to resolve the error code 0x80042405 – 0xa001b even by trying all the methods given above, you can try now by resetting the Media Creation Tool.
- Sign in as Admin in your Personal computer.
- Click Windows + S together. The search box will be opened.
- Write Control Panel and press enter.
- Choose the large Icon under the View By section in the right top corner of the box.
- Now choose File explorer option.
- In the sane window, select view tab and then you need to activate Show hidden files, folders and drives radio button.
- Now, click on Ok in order to confirm the changes and shut the current window.
- After that, click on Win & E again in order to launce the File Explorer application.
- Then choose the option This PC from the left panel and move forward to the root drive.
- Now, move to the following path: $windows.~ WS and $windows. ~BT
- Just delete the path now.
I hope that you get the solution to the issue: how to fix error code 0x80042405 – 0xa001b.
Windows 7 Media Creation Tool
Windows Media Creation Tool does not support Windows 7 and does not give any facilities regarding Windows 7. But there is good news. You can still use Windows Media Creation Tool for Windows 7. You cannot install Windows 7 through Windows Media Creation Tool but still can run it on a PC that has the Windows 7 OS.
All you have to do is to download Windows Media Creation Tool on your PC and run the .exe file. After this, you will be asked to select your country or region, language, edition of the OS you want to create, and if you are looking for upgrading this PC or another PC.
How Do I Fix Media Creation Tool?
- First, you need to right click on the Media Creation Tool.exe.
- Now click on Properties.
- Now press general.
- Press unblock at the bottom.
- Click on Apply and then Ok.
Why Is Media Creation Tool Not Working?
The Media Creation Tool may not work because some error has been caused. You just have to delete it and re-download it. Must check that you have a stable internet connection.
How Do I Fix Error Code 0x80080005?
- Click on Windows key+ I. the settings will be opened.
- Now move forward to update and security section.
- Press Troubleshoot.
- Select windows update and choose Run Troubleshooter.
To Sum It Up
You can fix the Media Creation error on Windows 10 with easy and simple steps. Don’t go into panic if you face such an issue. Just follow the steps properly.
Also Read: How To Fix Outlook Error Code 80090030